Michael J. Swart

January 12, 2010

A puzzling situation…

Filed under: SQLServerPedia Syndication,Tongue In Cheek — Tags: — Michael J. Swart @ 12:01 am

A puzzling situation (my T-SQL Tuesday entry). This entry is an actual puzzle. Here I’m asking you to do the impossible (or at least the computationally difficult). Solve for ???:

Good luck

Good luck

Solution next week.

BTW, Don’t even try to attack this using a brute force approach. Even if you could test 1000 values a millisecond it would take like a whole decade to crack it.

Update 1/18/2010: See solution here

1. do you have text version of the tsql above? If not, I’ll type what i see.

Comment by Rajib Bahar — January 12, 2010 @ 11:05 am

2. Sure here you go:
    --visit: http:/www.michaeljswart.com/???.jpg
    DECLARE @big BIGINT = ???
    SELECT hashbytes('MD5', CONVERT(NVARCHAR ( 15 ) ,@big)) AS big_hashed

Comment by Michael J. Swart — January 12, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

3. […] last week, I challenged the world to solve a puzzle. This was part of Adam Machanic’s T-SQL Tuesday. And while the entire world does not read my […]

Pingback by An incentive, and a hint | Michael J. Swart — January 17, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

4. Hi,

I have forwarded your post to my friends and UG members. Let us see!

Couple of people called and they said it is really difficult.

Kind Regards,

Comment by Pinal Dave — January 18, 2010 @ 5:36 am

5. Thanks for spreading the word.

Comment by Michael J. Swart — January 18, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

6. This puzzle is the most frustrating (albeit intriguing) damn thing I’ve encountered in a while.

But I’m determined. I’ll solve it even if it takes me an entire decade!

Comment by Brad Schulz — January 18, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

7. All right. All right.
    Congrats Brad. Winner.
    I’ll post a link to a solution within a day.

Comment by Michael J. Swart — January 18, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

8. […] Swart comes up with a difficult puzzle of his own. Can you reverse-engineer an MD5 hash? You shouldn't, in theory, be able to do so (at least, easily), but here are some hints… And if […]

Pingback by Adam Machanic : T-SQL Tuesday #002: The Roundup — February 8, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL